The Centre for High Energy Physics at the Indian Institute of Science is dedicated
to research in the field of elementary particle physics and quantum field theory. It has
a highly accomplished world class faculty trained in these subjects.
Research is carried out in the fields of standard model physics at high precision,
beyond the standard model scenarios based on theoretical consistency and
with the aim of uncovering novel effects at ongoing and future experiments,
analysis of properties of matter under extreme conditions and revealing them in
computational studies, mathematical aspects of quantum field theory in various settings
such as string theory as well as non-commutative physics, applications
of methods developed in quantum theory in diverse settings such as condensed matter
physics as well as quantum computing, and most recently, analysis of ongoing experimental
results at the CMS experiment at CERN.
The Centre has a highly developed teaching programme of its own, training students
at the research level. It also jointly conducts the Int. Ph. D. programme with the
Department of Physics, and participates in the activities of the Undergraduate programme
of IISc. The Centre has an active visitors programme that encourages scholars from
around the country and the world to visit and collaborate with the members of the Centre.
The members of the Centre also carry out in-house activities such as seminars, journal
clubs and other discussion fora, and organize topical conferences and workshops. In
addition, they frequently lecture at national and international schools, and travel
extensively to centres of excellence across the world to carry out collaborative work
and to present their research results.
- March 2022: Prof Ranjan Laha has been selected as an Infosys Young Investigator.
- Dec 2021: Prof. Justin David's editorship at EPJC has been renewed for another 3 years.
- Dec 2021: Prof. B. Ananthanarayan's editorship at EPJST has been renewed for another 3 years.
- Dec 2021: Prof. Ranjan Laha selected as member of NASI.
- December 2021: List of students admitted (midyear) to the Ph.D. program.
- November 2021: Prof. Rohini Godbole conferred Doctor of Science (honoris causa) by IIT-Kanpur.
- November 2021: Prof. B. Ananthanarayan pleased to announce an exciting new collection on the Accelerating Universe co-edited with Subhendra Mohanty of Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad "Link".
- September 2021: Prof. Rohini Godbole receives the Goyal prize in Physics of the Kurukshetra University for her contribution to Theoretical High Energy Physics.
- August 2021: Prof. Sachindeo Vaidya has become the member of the Editorial board of International Journal of Modern Physics A and Modern Physics Letters A.
- August 2021: Prof. Apoorva Patel's work on
"A Software Simulator for Noisy Quantum Circuits"
has been expanded, and launched nationally by MeitY as a
"Quantum Computer Simulator Toolkit".
- July 2021: Prof. Dptiman Sen receives the J.C. Bose fellowship from SERB for the period 2021-2026.
- June 2021: List of students admitted to the Ph.D. program.
- February 2021: Prof. Rohini Godbole wins the Lifetime Achievement Award of the Karnataka Science and Technology Academy, Government of Karnataka.
- January 2021: Prof. Rohini Godbole has been awarded the `Ordre National du Merite'.
- December 2020: Prof. Aninda Sinha has been selected as an honoree on the Asian Scientist 100 list (2020 edition).
- September 2020: Prof. B. Anathanarayan is a Member of the Strategic Scientific Advisory Board of Avesthagen Limited
and The AVESTHAGENOME Project.
- October 2019: Prof. Rohini Godbole receives the R.D. Birla Memorial Award of the Indian Physics Association.
- October 2019: Prof. Justin David has been elected a fellow of the National Academy of Sciences, India.
- September 2019: Prof. Aninda Sinha receives the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for the year 2019 in Physical Sciences.
- March 2019: Apratim Kaviraj has been awarded the Kumari L A Meera Memorial medal for best thesis in Theoretical Physics, IISc, 2018.
- March 2019: Prof. B. Ananthanarayan has become an editor for the European Physical Journal - Special Topics (EPJ ST).
- February 2019: CHEP In-House Symposium (1st and 2nd February, 2019).
- January 2019: Prof. Rohini Godbole receives the Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award in the country.
- January 2019: Prof. Justin R. David has been elected to the Fellowship of the Indian Academy of Sciences, effective from January 01, 2019.
- January 2019: Prof. Rohini Godbole has become a member of Council of the Indian Academy of Sciences, 2019-2021.
- January 2019: Prof. Rohini Godbole is in the scientific advisory committee of the Dutch research school of theoretical physics(DRSTP).
- November 2018: Apratim Kaviraj has got the IPA Rahul Basu Memorial Award for Best Thesis in HEP for the period 2016-18.
- November 2018: Prof. Justin David is an Associate Editor of `The European Physical Journal C'.
- September 2018: Prof. Rohini Godbole is Van der Waals Professor at University of Amsterdam (September -December 2018).
- September 2018: Prof. Rohini Godbole gets the 3rd term of the J.C. Bose fellowship of the DST.
- August 2018: Prof. Justin David is on the Editorial Board of `Current Science'.
- July 2018: Aninda Sinha is now an editorial board member for New Journal of Physics (2018-).
- May 2018: Is SUSY still the best bunker to hide in, in light of experimental data?, 10-12 May 2018.
- February 2018: CHEP In-House Symposium (16th and 17th February, 2018).
- November 2017: Kallol Sen has been awarded the Kumari L A Meera Memorial medal for best thesis in Theoretical Physics, IISc, 2017.
- July 2017: Brain-storming Workshop on Quantum Computation, Information, Communications and Cryptography, 22-23 July 2017.
- July 2017: Prof. B. Ananthanarayan has been selected as Series Editor for Spring-brief.
- February 2017: CHEP In-House Symposium (4th February, 2017).
- January 2017: On 16 January 2017, India has become an Associate Member State of CERN. This follows official notification to CERN that the Government of India has completed its internal approval procedures in respect of the agreement, signed in November 2016, granting that status to the country.
- Congratulations Prof. Diptiman Sen - for getting the Rustom Choksi Award for Excellence in Research for Science given in 2016 by the Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru.
- December 2016: Looking for BSM Physics, 20-22 December 2016.
- September 2016: Congratulations Prof. Sudhir Vempati - for getting the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar award.
- ICTP congratulates the winner of its 2016 ICTP Prize: Aninda Sinha of the Center for High Energy Physics, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India.
- May 2016: Indo-French Network Project in High Energy Physics (INFRE-HEPNET) kick-off workshop, 2-5 May 2016.
- February 2016: Workshop on Quantum Physics---Foundations and Applications, 1-12 February 2016.
- January 2016: CHEP In-House Symposium, 23-24 January 2016.